Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth Day of the Seventh Month of the Year

My cousin sent me a letter a while ago, and in it she said she didn´t know many people who would put their lives on hold for two years to serve in the Peace Corps.  When I read that I immediatly thought, "I´m not putting my life on hold, I´m living more than ever now," but in some ways I think she is right.  My mom also sent me a postcard not too long after that telling me the african daisies were blooming in Phoenix, and I was shocked.  It seemed I had forgotten that the world back home was still going on ahead without me.  I left Phoenix in the winter, it should stay that way until I get back, those daisies should have just kept their little orange spring-heralding heads under the sand for two years.

Maybe it has something to do with the lack of discernable seasons here.  A friend of mine in Ecuador explained to me that the sheep get all sorts of confused there since there is only one season, seeing as how it´s on the equator.  The non-native sheep then don´t know when it´s time to make babies because they need the change of seasons to tell them when the time is right.  That´s not a perfect analogy for my situation since there is no baby-making going on here except for the several buns in the oven over in the Casa Materna, but it might explain my state of general confusion.

Since I don´t have much access to internet, or newpapers, or television, or anything of that sort I loose track of holidays.  Without the bombardment of advertisments, I forgot which Sunday of the month Mothers´and Fathers´Day was, which resulted in slightly awkward phone calls back home.  The highlight of my phone call on Fathers´Day was when I asked my dad what he had been doing and he said, "well, we just got back from dinner since today is Fathers D-"
"HAPPY FATHERS DAY, I totally knew it was today...yes."

And then, about a week ago another PC friend asked me if I wanted to do something for the Fourth of July.  I had just been going over my schedule, looking up important dates - when I would have to go to the capital, when a medical brigade would be coming in - and I totally neglected to notice our nation´s day of independence.  I feel like I am suspended in my own personal little bubble, full of my own thoughts and frustrations and insecurities, and I have forgotten to come out of my head and look at the world around me, not just in my own little site.  My life is not on hold, that much I know, but I cannot expect that others, or nature for that matter, will put theirs on hold either.  Nor can I sit in my own head, only acknowledging what I feel is important to me in my own self involved way, which does not include, apparently, holidays.

Anyway, be it weather or narcissism related, I vow to break free of my own personal time-space contunium flux-thingy.  So happy Fourth of July everyone, I´m going to celebrate by doing something very American, like refering to the United States as America.
...
America.

3 comments:

  1. The good news is that there's no major US holiday until September now, so you don't have too much to keep track of. Just remember to call your dad and brother on August 19!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grand aunt, cousins (Gail, Diana, Garret & Lindsay, Tyler) Dano, Kiley & I all read your blog today and wish you a Happy 4th from the Iron Springs deck outside our little cabin. Love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessa, Your life is anything but "on-hold". How many young people are having the experience of learning about another culture? Whoever made that comment may not miss the "daisies" but they are missing a lot about the world we live in.....
    Always happy to hear from you... Rusty

    ReplyDelete