Saturday, October 1, 2011

Spaced

Last night a toad decided he wanted to be my new roommate.

I prefer him to the chickens who will occasionally sneak in and poo on the floor, but I didn´t want him in my room if I could help it, so I started trying to shoo him out with my shoe.  He proceeded to hop around and hide behind things, until I had finally chased him under my desk when he started hissing at me.  At that point I decided I needed help, mainly because I had never heard a toad hiss before and was freaked out, so I called my host cousin who promptly screamed and ran away when she saw the toad.  I stood there, alone (except for my new warty friend) with my shoe in my hand, thinking that maybe it was a bad idea to have told someone, and deciding that I would have to take care of this myself.  I eventually got him out from behind the foot of my desk, and had him hopping away when my cousin can back, and with a squeal, threw a steaming liquid on my departing friend.  She told me it was hot lemon juice and salt, which would kill him.  Apparently there is the idea that these toads leak a poisonous "milk" from their skin, making them extremely dangerous.  I´m not sure if this is true, in fact I´m fairly certain it´s not, but it explains the screaming...I just hope the lemon juice doesn´t actually kill him, otherwise I will feel like a terrible host.

4 comments:

  1. Frog went a courtin' and he did ride, uh-huh
    Frog went a courtin' and he did ride, uh-huh
    Frog went a courtin' and he did ride
    With a sword and a pistol by his side,
    uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such great stories, Tessa! xD I hope he didn't suffer death by lemon juice (that's just a bad way to go), but according to Wikipedia (the source for ALL things good and true! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad ), your host is correct =\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh snap! It's true! I bet bathing after eating nacatamales will make you sick too.

    ReplyDelete