Saturday, December 10, 2011

La Purísima and Graduation

Two big things have happened since I got back from a whirl-wind vacation with my parents.  The first was La Purísima, or the celebration of the Immaculate Conception.  This is celebrated as kind of a Mary themed trick-or-treat.  Houses put up shrines to Mary and then people go from house to house, singing prayers, and then the family hosting the singers will give out candy and plastic buckets, cups, and other items with the Virgin Mary´s image imprinted on them. 
My host family´s shrine.

The crowd waiting for their treats.

Also there are fireworks.  Lots and lots of fireworks.

(I tried to load a video of the fireworks here, but after thirty minutes of waiting, I gave up.)


Then, yesterday, I was invited to the graduation for a CICO, which is kind of like a Kindergarden graduation.  All the kids were looking very cute in their uniforms, and the parents were very proud.




Then, after everyone got their diplomas, there was a Santa-shaped piñata to destroy.



To the victor go the spoils...

And then what kind of party would it be without some dancing?

No comments:

Post a Comment