Monday, March 5, 2012

Where You From?

Accents are funny things.  I know I have one when I speak Spanish for, as my host niece so delicately put it, I speak "feo."  Yet, I don't think I have as much of an accent as other people from the States when speaking Spanish.  It depends on the day, if I've been talking or thinking in English, and if I am tired or nervous, but most of the time I can keep my accent at least a bit in check...or at least I like to think I do.  The point is that I definitely have an accent, but it is not so obvious that people from my town know where I am from, which has lead to some very interesting questions about my nationality.  What follows is a list of guesses as to my place of origin, from most to least common.

  1. Spain
  2. Costa Rica
  3. France
  4. Chile
  5. Brazil
  6. Nicaragua
  7. Colombia
  8. Puerto Rico
As odd as these might sound, the prize for weirdest place people have though you were from definitely goes to my friend Lindsey with Mongolia.

1 comment: