Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Water Saga, Part V: Si Se Puede



If the last part of The Water Saga was all about the negative things about that project, then this is about all the positive things that made it possible.  After the students and other people failed to help with the ditch-digging, I decided to call in a few friends to help out.  Since July I’ve formed an English Speaker’s club that consists mainly of male university students.  Strong university students who apparently have nothing better to do on a weekday than come out and help a gringa in distress.  First came Richar (spelt without the “d”…yeah, I know) and then after lunch we called up another English speaker, Carlos, and convinced him to show up, without telling him why.

“Aw, man,” he complained when we revealed our devious plan, “and I’m wearing my nice shoes, ‘cause I was gonna see my girl after this.”

“What girl?” scoffed Richar.  The last time we checked, Carlos had a total of zero girls.

“Which one you mean, eh?” he winked.

Oh, boys.
Carlos, Richar, and Cirilo, the water committee's treasurer, who came out to help dig



Chico and Justo helping out
Before we had started digging, the staff warned me that exactly where we were digging was where they bury the placenta after a woman gives birth.  They had apparently forgotten to tell me this during the planning process.  The boys weren’t fazed until I told them what a placenta actually is…and then we came across one.  I am not very squeamish with visual grossness, but olfactory grossness is another matter, and this was a recent enough one that it sent me and the boys running until we finally gathered enough courage to quickly dig a new hole to bury it in.  Just wanted to share that pleasant story with you all.  We came across three more that day.  There ya go. 
Our ambulance driver, Eugenio pitched in too

The next day, despite supposed work conflicts, and still-sore war wounds, three men from the health center helped me dig the remaining few yards to the proposed pila site.  Then another amazing thing happened when the man Don Marcial found to build the pilas finished his work in a mind-blowing three days.  Pretty soon, the pipes were installed, and the moment of truth came when the schedule moved around, and we had water.


Our cleaning ladies, Luci and Juana, were very happy



Don Marcial and me, he does smile occasionally, I swear

Yadira, a few of our pregnant ladies, and me with our pila...they also smile occasionally as well.
 And so, after more than a year in gestation we finally have two big, beautiful concrete babies, that fill my heart with joy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment