Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Crafts for Kids, or How to Campo-Laminate

My landlord works right below me, and his five year-old, Isabella, sometimes comes up to visit me.  We end up either coloring or removing the cushions from the sofa to jump on them like a trampoline.  I plan on teaching her the-floor-is-lava game pretty soon.  A few days ago, as I was searching for something for Isabella to color, I came upon a print-out of a doll* I use to teach children about nutrition.  He comes set with eyes, clothes, shoes, and a leg-bone that I tape on him after he eats from the proper food group (formadores give him eyes and the bone, protectores give him his clothes, and basicos give him his shoes, while energeticos make him run around) until he is happy and healthy, because he ate from all the food groups.  It's a fun way for kids to learn the importance of eating a more varied diet, but it's also a fun activity for a bored five year-old.

Isabella really enjoyed coloring the print out, and then taking the photo to document her work.

She kept on trying to sneak out of my photos though.  This is the clearest shot I got of her.
Pretty soon after she finished coloring the doll, it was time for her to go home, but she left the paper with me.  Today, as I was leaving the health center, I ran into Isabella and her dad in the waiting room.  She had had a mild allergic reaction to something, and was getting an injection to help with the swelling.  I thought I would do something to help cheer her up, so I went home to finish making the doll she'd colored.

First, I cut out the doll and all the accessories she had colored, and then worked on "laminating" all of the parts.  Obviously, there really isn't anyway to do that professionally here, but thankfully I've learned a passable alternative that you can do with just some clear tape and scissors.  I call it campo-laminating.


















Using a flat surface, just place strips of clear tape on the front of what you want to laminate, doing it so that a good amount goes over the edges of the paper.  Take your time, and be careful so you avoid making as many wrinkles and bubbles as you can.  Once you're done with one side, flip it over and repeat on the other.
Next, cut out the shapes, making sure not to cut directly next to the paper, but just a little bit around it.  By leaving a little border of clear tape, you'll ensure that both sides stay stuck together, protecting your laminated creation.

Once I'd laminated the doll, I could tape all its parts to the main body for the finished product.

Now Isabella can play with a doll that she colored herself, and that will last longer than it would if it weren't campo-laminated.

There you have it - a fun activity that you can do with kids, giving them a doll of their own creation to keep for rainy days to come...now let's see if Isabella likes her surprise when I give it to her tomorrow.


*It's adapted from the book Actividades Saludables, by RPCVs Patrick McGee and Angelina Zamboni, which has been of immeasurable help to me during my two years here.  I've simplified some explanations, and added some others to incorporate clothing at the request of my panzonas, who insisted that the doll was not complete even after eating a complete meal, since he was still naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment