Friday, January 31, 2014

This is How We Roll

As I've mentioned here before, the public buses in Nicaragua are, more often than not, old yellow school buses.  All of these buses have seen better days, and a hard life on the dirt or potholed roads here tend to take their toll.  One day, I was on the bus, traveling to help with a medical brigade, when the seat I was on just gave up and fell off, almost exactly like my left toenail.
"What's the point of it all, really?" the seat asked before falling to the floor.
 Because everyone else was traveling to the same brigade, the bus was packed.

So standing in the aisle when the seat fell wasn't much of an option.  Instead, I just chose to stand in the same spot where I had been sitting.  My neighbor, on the other hand was able to sit on the seat cushion that was now on the floor.
It worked out well for him.
 When we eventually arrived at our stop, I, along with half of the bus, tried to get off the bus, only to realize that it was so crowded that it would be almost impossible to exit out of either the front or the back doors.  That's when someone cleverly opened up the emergency side door, and we were all able to make it out.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do public transportation Nica style.

No comments:

Post a Comment