Friday, August 22, 2014

COS and Ringing the Bell

COS in Peace Corps speak is Close of Service, when you are done with your two (or three) years.  On the administrative side of Peace Corps, it mostly means completing a huge check-list of tasks, from turning in training books to talking to the Country Director.  In other countries, I'm told, you turn in your check-list to prove you've done everything, and then, welp, you're no longer a Peace Corps Volunteer.  In Nicaragua, we do things a little differently.  When a Volunteer becomes a Returned Volunteer, you ring a bell in the middle of the office, so that everyone who hears it can come out to applaud you in the best and most embarrassing way possible.

I'm very uncertain if I want to do this or not
 Luckily, I had some friends in the office when it came time for me to ring the bell, so it was even more special that I was able to celebrate with them...and cry just a little bit.  Because just like that, I am no longer a Peace Corps Volunteer, and I'm afraid my life will never be as challenging or interesting as it was then.
But then, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment