Saturday, July 26, 2014

Mayoreo

Managua is not my favorite place in the world.  After it was devastated by an earthquake in 1972, it was rebuilt as a sprawling, unorganized mess of a city, and one of its least appealing spots is where I spent a good deal of time.

Mayoreo is a major bus station for Nicaragua; buses heading north to the mountains, and south to the Rio San Juan all leave from here, and because my buses were so infrequent and crowded, I would have to show up at least an hour and a half beforehand if I didn't want to stand the seven plus hours.  It is noisy, dirty, and hot, but it became a comforting place for me to be while waiting.  It is noisy because so many people are traveling to different corners of Nicaragua; it is dirty with all the travel and accumulated dust blowing around, but employees are always coming by to mop under your feet; and it is hot because it is Nicaragua, what else would you expect?  Mayoreo means you are going somewhere, either home or on an adventure, instead of staying still, which is something special.
Now if I can just get my face to agree with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment