Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Barter System

In a place that doesn't have much money, and in a job where you don't take money from the community, people find their own way of repaying you for the work you do, or for helping them with their English homework, or what not.  More often than not, and especially in the campo, it is food.  I got a lot of food gifted to me over my three years.  Produce pulled from the ground or little napsacks, fresh eggs, baked goods, and almost a chicken once...that was when I had recently lost enough weight that someone was worried she might have to send me one, to which I said that no, really, I'm ok, please don't give me a chicken.  Please.  Some of my favorite were the sweet things people would give me, like these buñuelos.

They are sweet corn or yucca that has been deep fried and covered in a cinnamon sugar syrup.  They are incredibly unhealthy, and exceptionally delicious.  My neighbor in San Carlos, Carlos, gave them to me after tutoring him in some English, and it was a perfect little dessert.

3 comments: